Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Sullivans, an open mic, and new comrades

Comrades!


How goes the fight?

Man, it's crazy over here! First off, if you're in DC tomorrow (Friday), come on by and say hello at Ebenezer's Coffeehouse. I'll be playing at an open mic there, and man, I'm looking forward to it! I'll be debuting my song Desperate Situation for the good folks there. I'm always freaking out, so I've decided to put it to music! A single and music video will be out soon, so stay tuned!


I was just talking to one of my Lieutenants (guitar students) about songwriting. It's amazing how inspiration is everywhere. It's really that there's a lot of stories that need to be told, and we're the people to tell them.

I was eating my oatmeal the other day, and I was through reading politics, so I turned my attention to history.com. I read that it was the day that the Allied forces gained control of Guadalcanal in the Pacific campaign in WWII. A footnote to the story caught my attention - the loss of the five Sullivan brothers. All five boys - gone. As a fellow who's very close to my two brothers, I was especially affected when, after doing some further research, I learned that the last brother survived the initial torpedo attack, but went insane from grief of the loss of his brothers. He ended up jumping off the life raft, and was never seen again. Back home, the surviving sister, mother, and father carried on the best they could, but the father died in the 60's "a broken man." If I'm not mistaken, the sister's fiance was killed in Pearl Harbor, spurring her brothers to join the fight to avenge him. I'm sure to say that everyone was sad would be an understatement.

Well, I found a punk band was moved to write the following song about such a tragedy:


I've been listening to it a lot - it's quite a song about quite an event. There's people's stories all around us that need to be told. For some reason, they might not be able to tell them, be that they're gone, or silenced, or even unable to articulate their feelings. So, comrades, let's start telling their tales.

Lastly, I'd like to leave you with a funny story.

I stopped by the grocery store yesterday, and picked up a few things, including a carton of eggs, and a toothbrush. I got to thinking that it might not be a good idea to get both of these at once, in case it resulted in a case of salmonella poisoning. "Nah", I told myself, "the toothbrush is in a case." But bam, then the cashier rings everything up, and puts the toothbrush right on top of the eggs. The poor lady was tired, and must have been dealing with morons like me all day. "Hey, could you not put the toothbrush on top of the eggs?" I asked. I continued "Sorry, I guess I'm being a little over the top. But then again, that's sort of what I do."

Just then, the guy bagging the groceries looks at me and says "do I know you?"

"I'm not sure, I have a pretty loud mouth, and lots of people know me."

"You're the guy who had his face on his shirt!"

"Yeah, that's me! Here, have a sticker! Join the Revolution!"

He's now involved in the fight. Welcome, comrade!

I guess being over the top really is what I do.

Vive la Revolution!
- Josh

No comments: