Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Metal with a Message

Happy Music Monday, comrades!

  It seems to be human nature to seek similarities in others, and I'm no exception...probably to the chagrin of those I claim to be like me!

  One of the great joys in my life is teaching guitar, and recently, two younger comrades were in their lesson, and the conversation turned to metal.  These brothers are upstanding citizens, actively working even at a young age to steer their lives in accordance with their principles.  They've discovered the roar of metal, and I suggested that I put a list together of some of my favorite metal songs with a good message.  I remember being in their shoes, and it can be tricky to find music that is good on all accounts.  So, here's four cool tunes with power, roar, and good ideas behind them.  They represent a variety of styles, and are a cool starting point in the world of metal.  I know for a fact that I'm overlooking many great songs, so feel free to add them in the comments!


Metallica - The Unforgiven  

A thought-provoking song about authority, rules, and a life wasted.



Iron Maiden - Flight of Icarus  

Mythology provides the material for this tune.  If only Zeus had a boombox.



Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train

A classic metal tune, and I never even knew all the words.  Turns out it's lamenting the division of humanity, and saying "Maybe it's not too late."



System of a Down - Aerials

Bizarre, deep, profound, and crazy..."Life is a waterfall, we're one in the river, and one again after the fall."  You can headbang to S.O.A.D, and ask the important questions, too.




There's a quick sampling of a rockin' genre...Four songs is hardly an overview, but fellas, I hope this gets you started.  These are some of my favorite jams.

Metallically yours,

- Josh


  


No comments: