Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Infect Them!

The Morning Show is a blog companion to the Podcast Audio

Good morning, and welcome to The Signalman Show!

  WOW what a crazy weekend!  Did the speech for the teen leadership conference called HOBY (Hugh O'Brien Youth), and then returned the next day with my brothers to DJ their dance.  It was LIT!  I also was able to confirm about leadership there that, well, I think might be of interest to you.

  But first, a story.  One day a few years ago, I was hosting my Classic Radio Hour, a program of golden oldies that I take around to local nursing homes.  I was a bit sleepy, and the room didn't seem to be diggin' Frank Sinatra the way they usually did.  At first, I thought "well, nothing I can do about it, I'm just pressing buttons."  But I perked up a little bit, and the room seemed to, as well.  Still, I wasn't quite sure.  After all, once a track is dropped, all I can do is experience it, right?  Or is there more? The question was:  would my reaction to it be contagious?  

  Back to this weekend:  We were dropping the latest hits on the kids, and they were loving it.  But, like most audiences, they really only knew what was on the radio.  My brother put on a track that was only slightly off the beaten path (but hardly.)  I think it was Phantogram's "You Don't Get Me High Anymore" The crowd seemed to be open to it, but they weren't sure.  I'm onstage in front of the booth, and I start dancing and waving my hands...and sure enough, the crowd started to mirror it.  It proved to me that yes, my attitude IS contagious. And, so is yours.  Even with something as secondary as DJing (we're not MAKING the music, only presenting it), passion and excitement can provide a clear example that others can follow.  Lead them!

No comments: