Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Practice time

Practicing can be the source of stress, anguish, fear, and great chops.

Well, we don't want the first three. We're playing for fun, and even if you're in my shoes, playing for cash as well, the point is - guitar is supposed to be fun.

If I find a way around practicing, I'll be the first to tell you. But for me, it's the best way to build chops, improve as a musician, and it also gives me a sense of accomplishment when I actually sit down and hammer something out.

For more ideas on the philosophy of practicing, see my entry On Practicing

( http://joshurban.blogspot.com/2007/08/on-practicing.html )

But here's a groovy idea: For me, the trick is to figure out what time of day I practice the best.
If I can get it out of the way the first thing in the morning, I can usually achieve my musical goals, maintain a bit of focus, and I feel great about it the rest of the day.

Some folks have great success when they get home from school or work. Others are night owls, working out arpeggios, inversions, and the latest plans to take over the world in the wee hours. (I think Stalin was like this, but I'm not 100% sure......) (Ha ha, night owls! You really are trying to take over the world!)

Try to figure out what your ideal time is, and stick with it.

(As morning is my best time, I get stressed if I put off practicing till the evening, because I know that I'll invent some excuse, and never get to it.)

Hit your stride with consistency, and watch your chops improve.

Now get off the computer, and go practice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, ideas, and philosophies. I wanted to let you know that you have inspired me. After allowing my rig to gather dust while working a day job for the last 6 years, it has been a bit of a struggle to start knocking the rust off of my skills. Your articles here and on the ultimate guitar website have helped. Now time to shower & practice. Thanks again.