Thursday, November 22, 2007

A new face of gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving, Rockers!

Thanksgiving is a neat day. I used to dislike it - no presents involved. (Of course, I just got an early Christmas present last night, and that should keep me thankful all year! Thanks, Doc!)

But as the years have gone by, the idea has dawned on me of - "Hey, this is a day to be thankful! Even without presents!"


A death occured in my family a few days ago. Suddenly, the season seems filled with darkness and sadness. So much pain. But, as odd as it sounds, Thanksgiving could not come at a better time for me.

I am so grateful for everything in my life. This misfortune has shown me how lucky I truly am. And what an ideal day to reflect on that.

It won't take away the sadness, loss, and mourning. But it will show me exactly where I'm at.
And that's a good thing to know.


So what the idea, lesson, insight?

First off, even if you're in a sugar coma, or stuffed to the gills with a peculiar waddling bird people choose to eat, find some time today to feel truly grateful.

Now, that might be tricky, especially if you see a lot of bad stuff in the near future. But try this: focus on the moment right now. And feel happy for that. If that doesn't work, eat some more stuffing, and try again. ;)

Secondly, next time you pick up your guitar, sit quietly with it for a minute. Be grateful for it. Really look at it. Then, play. And play with a song of gratitude, like a bird singing the sun up.

(err...A heavy metal bird yelling the sun up...)

And Happy Thanksgiving.

All the best,
Josh

No comments: