Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The making of an EP - Part 1

Heyyyy Rockers!

Geeze Louise, how has everyone been? It's been awfully quiet over here, 'cause I've been BUSY.

Busy doing what?

I'm finally making a real cd! I feel that I've finally become an artist, and I'm warming rapidly to the idea. I'm SO EXCITED about this project, and I'd love to take y'all into the studio, at least via blog, and have you join in.

It's gonna be a wild one. I'd be honored to have y'all right there for the journey, from the songwriting, the equipment choices, and the whole creative process. Then, when it finally drops, and goes multi-platinum (errr.....), you'll know it like an old friend.



The Goal

To make a great record - on my own.

I'm not dealing with any other musicians, and while I'll probably get help mastering the audio, I plan on recording the entire project in my humble little home studio.

It's gotta rock! I wanna be able to hand to people, and say "check THIS."

It's gonna be meaningful - no stupid love songs.

It's gotta be doable live as a solo act - but I CAN use a laptop!

Whew, I feel like David Copperfield telling you how I'm gonna make a building vanish. Cool!

Pull up a chair, and get some ideas for your own project!



10:26 pm - The blogging begins - Tuesday, April 28th, 2009

I'm sitting in my studio, blogging. I need to be songwriting. Songwriting is a skill all of it's own. It's not learned by sweep picking. D*arn.

I'm installing Superior Drummer 2.0 by Toontracks. It's the cure for drummers. Woot!

(It's a drum sampling program, and I'm gonna program some beats those suckers can only dream of playing! HA!)

I'm going to write a song for people with cancer now. Just the lyrics part, 'cause the computer is bogging down with the drum program install. My Aunt's got cancer pretty bad. A buddy has decided he needs to get chemo. The sunlight illuminated the incredible sadness in his face. The people in the hall today waiting to talk to a counselor looked pretty darn sad. The little girl sat on the chair sniffling. There's blues everywhere, and the blues are the best healer I know. So I guess it'll be a blues song.

(And I need to grab a tofu sandwich for dinner.)

Rock on!

- Josh

1 comment:

Keith P said...

Congrats, Josh. Sounds like alot of fun. I have used the ToonTrack drums and they sound very good. And they are never too drunk or tired to play. Big plus. Keep me posted as I certainly want to hear what you come up with. Take care