Thursday, November 4, 2010

Frank Zappa and Stevie Ray Vaughan...

Is who I was (sorta) compared to in my LATEST CD REVIEW!!!

http://somdnews.com/stories/10292010/weekhot173619_32193.shtml

OK, Comrades, a lot has happened in the past week or so. I had a CD release party and student recital. It rocked. I went to the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert Rally. I kicked a baby there. Accidentally. The stupid yuppie lady wouldn't move her three wheeled stroller. Ooops. I wore my communist shirt with an "I Voted" sticker on election day. Ironic. I got on iTunes. Exciting!

But check it out - someone used my guitar playing and Stevie Ray Vaughan's name in the same sentence. WOWWWWWW! LOOK AT ME!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!

Urban, one-man band, releases CD

Friday, Oct. 29, 2010


Click here to enlarge this photo
Submitted photo
The cover image on Josh Urban's new CD.

Early on, it's industrial blues. Later, Josh Urban's debut EP, "Signalman," conjures, if you can imagine it, a blend of industrial rock and jazz fusion.

The five-track effort ends, meanwhile, with a feisty foot stomper, "The Good Lord's Lasso," which comes out just in time for Halloween. None of this, though, is about to be undone by the third track, a spoken-word ramble aptly described by its title: "Radio W-HAM."

Tired of playing in bands, Urban, a guitar teacher in Waldorf, has ambitiously spearheaded his own one-man band project. In other words, everything you hear on this album, and everything you will hear at his CD release concert tonight, was set into action by him, be it Stevie Ray Vaughn-flavored guitar licks, Frank Zappa-like vocalizing or the sounds of a looping drum machine.

If you would like to see Urban's one-man show and, as he puts it, "his trademark tacky fashion style," head to his party.


YAYYYYYYY!

No comments: