Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Mister Clean

As an educator, my goal is to inspire my students to become the musicians they want to be.
For some, it’s playing the Verizon Center, and for others, jamming around a campfire is the goal.
And for some of you, you may have already decided, or are about to come to the conclusion, that the music industry is for you. And I’d like to share an important lesson that I’ve learned about that subject.

When I decided to pursue a career as a professional musician, there were some examples that were important to me. Of course, the great musicians I admire, because that’s the ultimate goal. But also this person that I knew who was a “clean musician.” As we all know, the field of music can sometimes be a cesspool of humanity. And it drives me crazy. I hate that aspect of my career. But there was this good example of a person for me.

It’s my hope that I can be a positive example to you, as my friend was for me.
I don’t smoke, drink, or do drugs. (Regardless of appearance, and zany behavior!) I never have, and I never will. And I’d like to do my part to bust a harmful image associated with musicians. I don’t consider it “cool” to get high or drunk. I don’t need it to play my music. And I certainly don’t need it to have a good time!

I’ve been around a bunch of it, too. I’ve come home smelling pretty funny sometimes, but still in full posession of my senses. And I value them very highly, what little I have of ‘em.

At first, sometimes I would feel a little silly...When at a party, with all my friends getting trashed, this guy came up to me and said “come on, dude, have a shot with me!”
“Nah, man, I don’t drink.” It wasn’t received well, but let me tell you, it feels good now! And since I’ve got my feet in the world, it’s my style.

When I was 18, I was playing at a dive bar in Southern Maryland. Some guy wanted to buy the band drinks all around. I took him up on it, and ordered a Coca-Cola.
That’s the only kind of coke I take.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

totaly awsome, kids need to know this stuf. keep bloging!-kyle h.-