Monday, September 28, 2009

New Song, yo!

Hey hey!

What's UP, rockers? It's been a little while. I've been holed up in my studio, writing songs and watching The Daily Show. Jon Stewart is a funny, funny man.

Anyways, I recorded an instrumental to submit to The Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest. Wish me luck! As some of you know, I took a trip north recently. I bought myself a ticket to the train, and boy, am I glad I did. It was so much fun! I've always loved trains, so it was a great opportunity to do some railroad watching, and get nifty ideas for songs. I've got one in the works about a laundromat I saw in Jersey. Seriously. But back to this instrumental...The intention is for it to sound like a train - dig the bass line kinda throbbing along, and the lead guitar hook sorta sounds like a train horn.

So, check out the new tune called Northbound. It's on my myspace. Tell your friends, add the song to your profile, and turn it up!

The lesson today comes from one of my students. He was sharing his aggravation about how one of his soccer teammates refuses to pass the ball once he gets it. The story reminded me of how musicians do the same thing - once they get the spotlight, or a cool riff, they don't want to give it up. If they don't have it in the first place, then they'll try to make it up. I'll point a finger at BASS PLAYERS putting too much slap bass in everything, guitarists trying to play lead between ever stinkin' vocal phrase, and well.......the list goes on! Step back, evaluate the situation, and if need be - pass the torch.

Rock on!

- Josh

No comments: