Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I had it...but I forgot

I was traveling home last night, piloting the camaro along the dark roads when...It hit me.

The meaning of music.

I was just writing out a set list for a show this Friday, and I remembered my insight. I ran to tell my mom.

"Mom! Mom! I figured out what the meaning of music is!"

And then I forgot what it was. Drat. Man, I hate it when that happens. But here's what I foggily recall.

Perhaps it's less of a communication, and more of a physical embodiment of an ethereal idea. The notes, chords, melody and harmony (or lack of it, in some of my favorite music), is a small bit of what's really behind it. The wind ruffles the water, and we observe ruffles, but we do not observe the wind directly. Perhaps it's the same with music.


Get 10% off during the Scratch N Dent Sale.

No comments: