Thursday, August 25, 2011

SRV's Radio Tribute

Hey Comrades!


This Saturday will mark the 21st anniversary of Stevie Ray Vaughan's untimely demise after one of his greatest gigs ever.

I always like to do something to honor him, and this year, I've got a unique opportunity. I'll be hosting a radio show!

I was building the playlist the other day, was almost finished, and happened to look at my Fender Guitars calendar. I saw the red letters, and realized that I needed to throw the playlist into the blender!

A number of years ago, a friend gave me a bootleg recording of his entire last show at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin. I'm told it was recorded off the soundboard, so while the audio quality is a bit lacking, the tracks are HOT!

I'll be broadcasting the whole thing this Saturday during my show at WDCE 90.1 FM Richmond, so if you're in town, tune in! If you're not, it'll be streaming live at www.wdce.org (just click on "listen now.")

It's an incredible concert. You really don't want to miss it. (Ha, look at me, promoting for an SRV show. THAT'S a job I'd be glad to do every day!) I'm blow away every time I hear the CD. He said once that he plays every show like it's his last, and unfortunately, that time, he was right. Wow, what a way to leave the stage of the earth...What a show he played....nay, channeled.

Airtime is from 3-5 pm, Eastern Standard Time. The facebook page for the show is www.facebook.com/thesignalman

I'm so looking forward to it. I'll be hopping on Amtrak's Carolinian train #79 for the two hour trek to Richmond, hurricanes and earthquakes permitting. (We're getting pounded over here!)
Songs will be written on this trip...Especially if there's nuns sitting next to me! After the show, I'll be hanging out in Richmond's most "scenic" train station...It's really quite utilitarian, so hopefully the dreariness will provide great artistic inspiration. Watch out - Handy Street II?

See you on the air!

- Josh






No comments: