Sunday, May 15, 2011

My mom

Hey Comrades!


Guess what! My own ma turns 50 today!

Wow, I'd like to wish her a very happy birthday! It's truly incredible how influential one person can be, and change the world both directly through their own actions, and indirectly, by affecting others.

If it weren't for mom's encouragement, I would have never played guitar, and you would have never been reading this blog of hot air! (So blame her.)

I think it's important to remember how we all make a difference, be it just encouraging someone after playing their first gig, or raising a child. Strike that - Especially when raising a child.

I hope I can someday repay those who have been such a great presence in my life. Maybe all I can do is "pay it forward", and do my very best, especially at things I'm not too keen on...say, playing a gig with two people there, or being extra patient with an annoying student. ("I'm not annoying! I'm a student!")

One of the things I'm most impressed about with my mother is how she raised us boys. I think it could apply to music, too. She was 110% in to parenting. It's what she did. She read books on the subject, read kids books to us, home schooled us, counseled us, challenged us to do the best we could, cooked, was on call eight days a week, played with us, and most importantly, listened to us. As a matter of fact, with the exception of home schooling us, she still does!

If we were as dedicated to music, promotion, practice, and marketing as she was, and still is, into being the best mom possible, we would have Van Halen touring to support us.

Now, I'd just like to make it clear: she's much more than a mom! She's a successful business owner, artist, poet, writer, friend, and does more introspection in a day than most people do in a lifetime.

Dedication and heart, comrades. Those are the elements of such a successful person.

Happy 50th, Mom!

- Josh

5 comments:

terri st. cloud said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnnn.........thank you josh..........i love you.

Char said...

Your momma is so awesome! You're not too bad yourself, either... ;-)

Bill Wootan said...

I remember when you 3 boys rebuilt a car for your mom, when she didn't have one, and when you used to take peanut butter with you when you went to visit your dad - I met her when she was thinking of selling her house, and I was probably the only Realtor who would have talked her out of selling by asking "where can you live cheaper?" You just gotta get rid of those spiders tho!

Bill Wootan

Sharon said...

Wonderful tribute to your amazing Mom, Josh. She is indeed a super wonderful woman. I'm so glad I have had the opportunity to be blessed by being with her even just a few times.

Josh Urban said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Love ya too, ma! :)

Thank you, Char! Likewise!

Bill, man, those were the days, huh? Thanks for offering her quality advice and helping her out. I really appreciate it.

Very nice of you, Sharon!